Kaleidoscoptic

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting


Today I visited the Museum of Art and Design in New York to see the show Radical Lace and Subversive Knitting. It wasn’t that radical and only slightly subversive and there was a lot more lace than knitting but it was interesting anyway. There were a few garments knit from paper. One was called The Money Dress and was knit from dollar bills cut into 1/8 wide strips. Actually it was a cute sheath dress. A few things were knit to 1/12 scale using medical wire. They were very detailed.
Yesterday I wore an old hat I made and my sister saw it and started her usual plea to me to make one for her. So I gave it to her. I have a lot of hats here, but I really liked that one. It was knit from Noro in brown and orange shades and had bobbles around the brim. I only wish I had taken a picture before I gave it away. I really have to learn to sometimes just say no. I think I will go through all my old patterns and try to find the one for this hat. I have some Noro in blue shades and I want my hat back so now I’ll have to make one for me.
I have been working a lot on Ariann and already joined the sleeves and was knitting the yoke. Then last night at 3:00 in the morning I woke up and realized that all the decreases I had done on Ariann were wrong. I wasn't making the paired increases/decreases so I really wasn't decreasing. I waited until morning and then I counted stitches. After decreasing 27 rows I only decreased two stitches. It is lace and I can't just frog it. I have to unknit it or throw it out. So here I go unknitting and reknitting the raglan shaping again. It has over three hundred stitches. I never fell asleep again so I am exhausted now. I just can’t wait to see it completed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home