Kaleidoscoptic

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Favorite Event


Last Sunday was Knit Out Crochet Too in New York City. I wait for this all year. Even though it starts at noon, it is jammed by 10:30 am. I always get there really early because I am terrified I won't find a place to park near Union Square where it is held. Yarn companies, book publishers, knitting world stars and charities are all in attendance. There are givaways, lessons, demonstrations, fashion shows, contests and opportunities to just sit and knit with other knitters (and crocheters of course.) I got a lot of free patterns, a few magazines and even some yarn. I really enjoyed the demonstrations of new techniques and methods like the one with Iris Schreier on multidirectional knitting. There is nothing like hands-on learning.

I met the Yarn Harlot herself, Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, and she signed my copy of Knitting Rules!: The Yarn Harlot's Bag of Knitting Tricks. Here she is with the famous traveling sock. Then I met Knitty's Amy Singer. I didn't bring anything for her to sign so she signed a yarn store business card.
Clover was giving away free bamboo needles. Look at the line. It is too bad that it was a really hot day. If it were more comfortable I would have stayed even longer. By 3:30 I was exhausted and I went home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandi Purl said...

hey secret pal! i'm really enjoying your blog. this one post hit close to home. Amy from knitty is a wonderful dame. we met during the knitting olypics and have shared some toast at the drink n' knit knites as well as shared some knitting at an s n'b here in the market. one night when i couldn't make it out because of work, she sent me baked cookies thru a friend who was meeting me later that eve. she sure is sweet. check out her mimi verylong patter on her blog. i really should post mine. later...

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home